China Visit Helps Duterte Reap Funding Deals Worth $24 Billion
China not just a friend, but a big brother: Duterte Spokesman
Railways, ports, energy and mining agreements signed
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte will bring home $24 billion worth of funding and investment pledges from his four-day visit to China as both nations agreed to resume talks and explore areas of cooperation in the South China Sea.
China will provide $9 billion in soft loans, including a $3 billion credit line with the Bank of China, while economic deals including investments would yield $15 billion, Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez told reporters in Beijing on Friday. Preliminary agreements in railways, ports, energy and mining worth $11.2 billion were signed between Philippine and Chinese firms.
“China is not only a friend. China is only a relative, but China is a big brother,” Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said in Beijing, adding that while U.S. had been like a father for the Philippines, it was time to move out of the house and “decide for ourselves.”
For an explainer on the Philippines path under Duterte, click here
Duterte thanks China for aid, says US can do better
‘America just gives you principles of law and nothing else’
To quell US criticisms against his administration’s alleged condoning of summary executions in the war against drugs, Duterte said that he showed US President Barack Obama photos of Moros allegedly killed by American soldiers at the turn of the century.
တရုပ်ကဖီလိပိုင်အတွက် ကျွန်းလေးကျွန်းဖန်တီး ဆောက်တည်ပေးမယ်
China will create four artificial islands near Mindanao for the Philippines
Duterte ‘shocks’ ASEAN delegates with photos of Filipinos killed by American colonizers
Vientiane, Laos – At the East Asia Forum of the ASEAN Summit on Thursday, President Duterte, straying from a prepared speech, reportedly launched into a tirade about US military killings in the Philippines when it was an American colony from 1898 to 1946.
လွတ်လပ်ရေးပေးမယ် ဆိုတဲ့ဂတိ အတိုင်း မဟုတ်ဘဲ အမေကန်က ဂတိပျက်လို့ ဖီလိပင်နိုတွေကပုန်ကန်ခဲ့တယ်၊
လွတ်လပ်ရေးစစ်ပွဲမှာ အမေရိကန်ကဖီလီပင်နို ၄၀၀၀၀ဝ သတ်တဲ့အတွက် တောင်းပန်သင့်တယ်လို့အမေရိကန်
(တနေရာက လူ တ သန်း သတ်တယ်လို့ ရေးခဲ့တယ်)
— Mark Twain
October 15, 1900
The New York Herald
Between the years 1899 and 1913 the United States of America wrote the darkest pages of its history. The invasion of the Philippines for no other reason than acquiring imperial possessions, prompted a fierce reaction of the Filipino people. 126,000 American soldiers were brought in to quell the resistance. As a result, 400,000 Filipino “insurrectos” died under the American fire and one million Filipino civilians died because of the hardship, mass killings and scorched earth tactics carried out by the Americans.
In total the American war against a peaceful people who fairly ignored the existence of the Americans until their arrival wiped out 1/6 of the population of the country. One hundred years have passed. Isn’t it high time that the USA army, Congress and Government apologised for the horrendous crimes and monstruous sufferings that inflicted upon the peoples of Filipinas?